What makes MARL “A Different Breed of Shelter”?
- MARL accepts animals that other shelters might turn away or have already turned away, including older animals or those arriving sick or injured.
- We believe the “quality of the wait” can make all the difference in the future of an animal. Every single day, our residents have exercise time, snuggle time, and more with people who know and love them.
- Our animals enjoy an enrichment program designed to keep their brains and bodies healthy. This program minimizes stress, positively affects behavior, and ultimately shortens the time to adoption.
- MARL NEVER euthanizes for space. We only consider euthanasia in cases of extreme aggression or medical issues that will compromise an animal’s quality of life.
- Our Community Outreach program is the ultimate effort to keep animals with the families who love them. In 2020, MARL provided outreach supplies and services to over 380 animals.
- The size of MARL’s operation allows us to provide specialized care to our animals and community. It also allows donors to immediately see the unmistakable impact of their support.
- And more! Continue reading below to find out what makes MARL such a special place.
Tough times call for good friends.
When an animal finds itself in an unfamiliar world, the most important thing we can offer is a skilled team of people who are going to do everything they can to make things better.
At MARL, we hire people who love animals, who are dedicated to the mission, and who work their tails off every single day. And don’t even get us started on the volunteers… They are incredible people who make a difference every time they step foot in the shelter. It’s a hard job but we have a team that is focused on providing the best care we can to as many animals we can.
If you were an animal in need, you’d want to end up at MARL. Here’s why:
MARL takes in animals which other shelters might turn away or already have turned away. Some are brought to us as strays while others are surrendered by the only family they have ever known. Some are rescued from cruelty and neglect while others are left on our doorstep overnight. Over 1,200 animals come to MARL and find loving homes every year.
No matter how they arrive, we want to see every animal in our care thrive and be adopted into a loving home. But we will not allow an animal to suffer and we will not place a potentially dangerous animal into the community.
When you’re looking for a friend. The best kind.
When you adopt from MARL, we are going to tell you everything we know about your new best friend. If the dog you like has a habit for chasing cats, we’re going to tell you that. If the cat you’re interested in will most likely ignore you 22 hours a day, we’re going to tell you that too.
At MARL, we take the time to match animals with a lifelong home. We aren’t about getting animals out the door; we’re about being honest and making matches that last a lifetime. We’ll tell you all about how your best friend arrived at MARL, what we we noticed while they were here, and our expert opinion on what to expect when you bring them home.
MARL is a proud recipient of the Guidestar Gold Transparency Award.